Sunday 16 January 2011

Construction Over - Vogue 8413 Double Knit Dress

I was on a roll yesterday and as a result finished the Vogue 8413 pattern in a gorgeous double knit turquoise. I actually finished it this morning as last night I had no energy for hand hemming. I had a bit of a hard time getting the photos to show the true colour but in these it's very close.
The fabric is lush! It feels so comfortable and warm against the skin making it perfect for winter. It's also crease resistant, which is always a bonus. I have some train holidays booked for later this winter so this will be a perfect travel dress.
Good construction points includes the fabric itself. It doesn't ravel at all which is brilliant. I used a universal needle as I don't have any ball points and found it not to be a problem. I understand the latter is better so will stock some for the next time. 
I decided not to make a muslin/ toile as it would be a bit silly to use a non-stretch fabric to test a stretch fabric. I also deviated from the pattern instructions asking for a 22" zipper. I estimated the knit to have enough stretch to not put a zip at all. And it worked, as you can see from the photo below. (Apologies for the strange photo. I swear it's my back. I think the back collar makes it look like it's backwards.)
The fit was interesting. I've cut the size 8 and it's definitely a tad big on me. After constructing the bodice I decided to take in 1/4" from side seams. That made it better (not perfect). The skirt includes darts at back and pleats at front but was way to large on me. I took a good 2" off side seams and fits much better (again, not perfect). I also shortened the length. 
Other issues that made me sweat was marking the pleats in fabric. Nothing (other than good old thread) seems to stay! Pressing seams open was also difficult especially because of the amount of bulk i.e. neckline.

I'll probably make this dress again (or a different view from same pattern) but will aim for a snugger fit.

16 comments:

  1. Love it! the color is FANTASTIC and the fit is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I LOVE it! It's a great colour and you look fantastic in it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! That looks interesting color in winter, is a point of light !!!!! The dress looks great on you, I love the princess seams and pleats of the skirt front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing colour!!! I love turquoise, good on us redheads, ey? Stunning dress. Absolutely love everything about it. Where did you get the fabric? Did you buy it locally or online?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fabulous - so dramatic. Love the way you've styled it, too. Where did you get your double knit from? I've struggled to source this in the UK. Well done without a toile, too! I think the fit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! And the colour is so gorgeous with your hair!
    I've not yet progressed to stretch fabric as skills need improving but when I do, I would be aiming to make something as fabulous as this.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic dress, and it suits you so well. Good thinking about the zip - I put one in but I can put my double-knit dress on easily without using it. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is definitely your color. It looks fabulous on you. I like it with your boots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color. Turquoise is one of my favorite right now. And the fit looks really good. I wish I owned a dress like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous Suzy - a nice fit and such lovely smooth fabric. DId you buy the fabric on-line? I'm looking for some exactly like that. So this was the little something you knocked up between sewalong posts! Very impressive. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colour and it does look fantastic on you. I think it was a great idea not to add the zip, I am planing to do a dress and the pattern asks to include one, but it is V neck and I don't think it would need it either.

    Fantastic job Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this pattern sooo much. And the color is sooo OMG! You don't mention if you Petite-d the dress at all, though you are short. Another thought, looks like the back neckline gaps a bit, due to the pose or do you have narrow shoulders like me (10,5cm vs 12cm standard)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much all for the lovely comments!

    I bought the double knit at www.calicolaine.co.uk. There's a link to the double knits on front page. It was the only place online I was able to find it.
    Lakaribane: You are right, it does gap a bit at the back and I can get away with it by adjusting the collar. I think I do have narrow shoulders but as I only started looking into fitting now I'm still finding out my shape ( if that makes sense). The whole dress would be improved with a proper petite adjustment, other than only side seams taking and that's something I'm planning for my next dress with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dress (and you) look amazing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is stunning! I'm making mine in black double knit, the cowl neck version. I love the back collar and the striking colour of yours - I'll definitely have to make one like this in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this pattern and now you've inspired me to make it up in this version. I have even ordered my double knit from Calico Laine in purple!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...