Sunday 20 February 2011

It's a Zebra Wrap!

My Colette Zebra Crepe Wrap Dress done as part of Gerties Sew Along is done. I finished it about a week ago but have been waiting for some good(ish) weather to go out and take some photos. That hasn't happen so all you get for now is some indoor photos.

I am very happy with this dress and have Gertie to thank for all the tutorials and support. The final construction steps were not hazard free. I had to do some serious fudging after some pattern pieces not matching others but at the end it all came together nicely. It was all due to changing pattern pieces during the fitting stage so need to take extra care in future to make sure everything matches everywhere.
Gertie used french seams and bias binding but I decided against it as my fabric is a medium weight cotton. With the batiste as underlining, french seams would make it too bulky. I opted by pressing seams open and overlocking (with a overlocker foot). With the waist seam I also pressed it open and hand sewn some seam binding. I'll leave you with a shot from the inside. I think it's the first inside I really like (even though I can't seam to press the batiste properly).

16 comments:

  1. It's fantastic! Love zebra under all circumstances and the red really makes it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely version of the dress - pretty rock and roll! What a delight to have an interior shot that you dare to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's gorgeous Suzy, I bet you're pleased with yourself now it's finished! I love the whole outfit: tights, red shoes and black cardigan - it's a really cool look, well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love it with your striped tights. Your indoor shots are great. Do you do anything special with lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! You've done such a great job on this, and it looks fantastic on you. Love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it looks wonderful! Love it, and you look fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the zebra print! Awesome! And your pretty red shoes? Fab! Great job - it looks lovely on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, love it, love it, love it!!!! I love this version of the crepe dress, it's so different from the others I've seen. I want one!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great outfit. I love the dress and the way you accessorised it. Let's hope for better weather soon so you can twirl around in it outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great print and the red ties go perfectly. This is my favourite Crepe dress out of all the ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely - fits you really nice, and I love how you've styled it too - Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love your take on this pattern! You really brought new life to it by using an animal print instead of florals. The whole outfit (shoes, etc) looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! You look amazing with this incredible dress! That's a job well done beautifully. Hey, girl! Few people dare to show her work at the back. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much everyone! I love reading your comments :)

    Lizajane:I sometimes use spotlights for indoor shoots but majority of the sewing related ones are all with natural light. I use a DSLR in manual mode with a small aperture. The rest is composition, angle, etc. I also do photography as a hobby so know a fair bit. Maybe I could do a post on photography with tips and the sort...

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! I was not a big fan of that pattern, maybe I should say that it was just not my style, but you have done a fantastic job. Not sure if it is the fabric or what but if you were selling that pattern and I had seen this picture I would have bought it straight away!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...