Tuesday 19 April 2011

The Interfacing Tale - RTW Tailoring Sew Along

I have certainly not forgotten this brilliant sew along and now that I can be sure to have a dress to wear for the wedding in a couple of weeks time, it's time to tackle my summer jacket. It's not a standard tailored look so not all posts by the brilliant Sherry will apply but I'm learning lots nonetheless and definitely bookmarking posts for the future.
One of the brilliant things I have learned is blockfusing. After reading about it I thought: "Oh my, it's so simple but it makes perfect sense. Why haven't I thought of it". There's beauty in the simplest of things! Unfortunately for me, I couldn't do this with my jacket. Because I knew I would be busy with My Sabrina Dress, I cut the pattern pieces a long time before Sherry posted about blockfusing.
So I've cut and fused all pieces and learned (or relearned) a couple of things on the way. One is about how to buy and store interfacing. I have bought several weights and qualities depending on what patterns ask. I usually buy more than the pattern asks for as I reckon I will end up using it. But (and this is a big but) after I use it I "shove it" on my cabinet with the other interfacings without labelling or marking. Duh! For someone who still can't recognise weights and types of fabric and interfacing just by touch this is a tad silly. So now, everytime I need to interface something I fuse all types on scraps. Pretty silly no?
The second thing that keeps happening (and I keep repeating) is illustrated in the two photos below:
Can you see what happened there? The first photo shows my lovely front piece with accurate markings made using my favourite method, carbon paper and tracing wheel. Seconds later we have a beautifully fused front piece but where the heck are the markings? Gone with the fuse! I end up pinning the pattern tissue again and re-marking. And always forget about it.
I'm interested to hear form you. How do you deal with pattern marking and notches on pieces to be interfaced?

*Apologies for the weird colour in photos. I love sewing at night but I pay the price with lousy photos.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you've just found another advantage of blockfusing!
    You could try clipping notches instead of where the pattern has dots - I'm not sure why patterns use so many dots, when notches are just as good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...